Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dexter to Ann Arbor


We woke up early to eat a little breakfast before heading to the race. The race was from Dexter to Ann Arbor so we had to park in Ann Arbor and get bussed to Dexter. The race was very well organized. When we got to Dexter there were a lot of people hanging out in the sun waiting for the race to start. This one lady was videotaping and videotaped the crowd through the reflection on Jeff’s sunglasses. I would like to see her video. I knew the race was going to be competitive because they offered free entry to any elite runner…(half marathons around usually around 50 dollars) but I didn’t think it was going to be as competitive as it was! My first mile was a 6:07 and I knew there were girls in front of me. I was thinking that that was great because they must have started too fast and will be coming back to me later on in the race. They didn’t. I looked up the top 5 after the race—quite the running resumes…Olympians, DI steeple chase national champion..etc. Anyways, Jeff and I ran the first 11 miles together. We didn’t really talk, we had a good rhythm going, and were feeling great. However, I died midway through mile 11. My last two miles were 50 seconds slower than the other. I learned a valuable lesson….take a gel or gu in order to keep you from running out of juice. It was a fun race though and even with 2 really bad miles I got an 18 second PR and won my age group so I can’t complain. Jeff did awesome! After the race we enjoyed the post race festivities and then headed home to shower. After we showered we headed over to Jeff’s mentor. Jeff’s mentor is a Christian vascular surgeon. He has a wife and 3 really cute kids. They grilled burgers. We ate in the sun on the deck. The kids were hilarious. There was a 9 year old girl, a 7 year old boy, and a 4 year old boy. They were always wanting them to watch them do tricks or play with them. After that we headed to Jeff’s and watched Slumdog Millionaire. I would highly recommend it. After that it was time for me to head back to Chicago! What a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment