Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chase Corporate Challenge


Today after work was the Chase Corporate Challenge. The race started at 7:10 but we all headed over after work and hung out for a bit. It was a hot hot night. Rob had done the Challenge last year so he knew that we had to get to the start line about 20 minutes early so that we would be at the front. When the gun went off it was a bit of a shock to the system because usually you do some strides and jog around right before instead of being packed into a corral for 20 minutes. I went out a bit fast (first mile was 5:23-ish) but it was nice to be the first female from the start. A lot of guys started too fast and there was a couple hair pin turns at the beginning that were hard to do quickly with the congestion. We went onto Lower Wacker and that was death. The hot air just had settled there and it was sooo hot and stuffy. It felt so nice to get out of there (even though it was still hot). The route had a long out and back stretch so I got a lot of cheers from other people in my company who were running on the other side of the road. Holly came to watch the race and I really appreciated her cheering for me. Coming into the home stretch I knew I was going to get first female. I was excited. This was only the second time in my life that I have gotten to break the finish line tape. Nothing beats that. However, this was a very different feeling! This was no tape! Usually these banners are precut so it rips easily…not this one! This was a fake leather material and did not break at all. So I guess I can’t say that I “broke the tape” I have to say I ran into the tape : ). Fun none the less. When I finished they whisked me away and started asking me all these questions and all I wanted was something to drink. I said “can I please have some water.” I guzzled the water they gave me and then I told them the information I needed. They gave me two more Gatorades d I pounded those. I didn’t even feel water logged after drinking all that. I must have really needed the liquids. They handed me this slip that said “Please report to the awards tent at NOW.” I found that kind of funny at the time. Why would they hand me a piece of paper that told me to be right where I was NOW. But then knowing my history of missing awards on accident this was pretty fitting. They brought the first place man and women up and gave us these giant Tiffany’s boxes. I was hoping there was some diamonds in it but it ended up being a big bowl. I guess it is quite a nice bowl and it has etched on it “Chase Corporate Challenge First Place Female.” Actually it is going to be very useful because I only own one serving bowl. We are still waiting to see how we did as a team. We should have a good chance at the co-ed team. We have one guy who ran in college and was a head of me and another guy not far behind me, and then a girl that was 4 minutes behind me. Last year are combined time would have placed us second. However, last year the course was 3.35 instead of 3.5 so we might have won as a mixed gender team. After the race we had a cookout in the park. I stayed until 9:30 just enjoying the summer night and good food. It was fun to meet some of the families of my coworkers and some of the owners of the company.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Chris! BCS is taking 12 girls and 10 guys to state next weekend. I am busy making luggage tabs with event times on the back... still remember your senior year when you saw your event(s) listed and had made it to state as an individual. (I remember you saying that you had thought the only way you would go to state track would be on a relay.) So I continue on with luggage tags with this new group of Viking tracksters. -Sloan-

    ReplyDelete
  2. My luggage tag was used on my Calvin Bag all four years and is now on a different gym bag! Keep doing that. I would be so sad if I lost it! Good luck at State!

    ReplyDelete