Saturday, August 1, 2009

Jeff's Half Ironman and a full day of other things


The next morning was early. 5AM I left for my first official marathon training long run. I actually loved running in the morning. It was really calm and it was warm but not too hot. I always run with my cell phone in my hand (and surprisingly it doesn’t bother me at all- I forget it is there). But that meant that I could take pictures with my phone. I rounded the corner to the lake and was like WOW! The sun rise was AMAZING- red globe that was making the sky all hues of red.

When I got back I took a shower, ate alot, and got ready to get picked up. I went to the farmers market and picket up some melon and veggies for the next week- but my real intention was breaking my 20 so I had some small bills. I didn’t know how much gas would be but if my driver wanted 25 I didn’t want to have to give him a 40 dollars. I got picked up at 8AM. Unfortunately we got stuck in bad traffic. He was a great guy and we had good conversations. He was a science teacher and also had done a lot of traveling. It was fun to compare stories from Asia and Mexico. I tried to pay him when I left but he said “No- I am guessing that since you are an engineer you don’t like to read but I really want you to read one of these books so instead of giving me money go buy and read one of these 4 books.”

At the race I didn’t know what time Jeff had started the race so I thought I better stay at the finish. It ended up that he was in the very last wave so I could have gone and seen him at other parts of the race. I got to see him finish so that was good. Jeff did great! A PR! I can’t imagine racing for that long. Pete and Alex (Calvin friends) were there so it was really good to see them.

After the race we went to Grandma and Grandpa O’s to chat and for some appetizers. It was fun to see them as always.

Then in Ann Arbor we went over to Nate’s (a med student) for a barbeque. After that we stopped by the store to get some ice cream and we went back and watched the movie Big Fish and had ice cream. I didn’t like the movie until about half way through. I would recommend it- it is weird but everything makes since at the end and there are a lot of great life lessons.

Another long good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment