Sunday, August 9, 2009

Korean Fest

Korean Fest today. Got 200 dollars but I have to say that it was a well earned 200 dollars. It was 95 degrees and really humid. After the first mile I realized that this was not very fun : ) I didn't even cool down because cooling down would have been warming up when I was already way warmer than I would like. Like last year- the race was a total cultural experience. Instead of bagels here is a picture of one of the asian pastries I had- note the green stuff, I also had one with red bean in the middle and one with mocha cream in the middle. I ended up winning a raffle but when I got my prize it was a 20 dollar gift card to Korean Books. I looked online and it looks like unless I want to learn Korean, I can't use this gift : )

After the race, these two Kenyan’s came up and talked to me. They were really nice. They mainly wanted me to tell them if I knew of any races that had money. This guy ran 14:10 today as an easy run. His PR is 13:02 for the 5k. I asked him if he had any pointers. He said to stay of the pavement. Kenya doesn’t have the pavement he said. Pavement invites injury. He also said that in Kenya people aren’t so busy. There is more time to sit around and relax. He also said American’s aren’t as mentally tough. He also said that from people that he has run with here, teammates seem to compete against each other. You should use your teammates to relax he said. You waste energy competing. He also said that they usually eat 2 big meals and then drink a lot of really sweet tea during the day. They eat a lot of some sort or corn porridge thing it sounded like. They eat lots of carbs, alittle meat, and greens and whole milk. Interesting. He said that before workouts they will sometime have the sweet tea with milk in it and a piece of fruit to settle the stomach—I don’t think I will take that advice! Sound like the two worst things you can eat before a run- milk and acidic fruit!

When I got back I went to Church to find out that the 11 service was canceled because of the block party. So I went to 4th Pres. After that I went to the Apple store to have them look at my ipod.






No comments:

Post a Comment