Friday, July 31, 2009

Kara Goucher

It was a stressful day but everything ended up okay. I had a report that had to go out. At the last minute I had to make some changes. I had gotten to work early so I could leave early because I was supposed to get to Fleet Feet to meet Kara Goucher at 5PM. At 5PM I was still at work and knowing that it was not smart to rush on a Final Report but wanting so badly to leave. Everything ended up okay. The report went out a little after 5 and I got to the store an hour late but thanks to Chicago traffic Kara was running late as well!

She came to Fleet Feet and first a Nike rep talked about their new shoe that came out. I actually find that I love these product talks. Most people I think just tune it out and wait to see the celebrity but I love it. It is really interesting all the thinks that they think about and research to design the new product. For example, they mentioned that girls heal widths vary a lot more than men’s. In fact men’s heal widths are almost all exactly the same! Anyway, that wasn’t the most interesting thing I learned but it came to my mind first : ) After that they had an interview with Kara and a question and answer time. She seemed like such a nice and fun person. The lifestyle she lives is unbelievable but I think it would be pretty cool to see how much you could really get out of yourself. Her husband Adam Goucher who was also an Olympian and wrote the book “Running with the Buffalo’s” was there. I feel kind of bad for him because he is an amazing runner himself but Kara has really stolen all his thunder. The only time he is on TV is after she finishes the race and he gives her a hug and kiss. They didn’t interview him and I think most people didn’t even recognize him. They just thought he was some guy in the store. After the interview they took her in the back and the Fleet Feet team got to meet her in person.

After that I went home and worked on finding a way to get to Benton Harbor the next day to see Jeff in his half Ironman. I had a bus ticket but it would get me there at 1:30PM. At 10PM I had found a ride! YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment