Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Chicago Marathon

So I have been training a lot with people that are doing the marathon. They have been giving me a hard time for training for a marathon and not running one. The thing is that there workouts are what I would do anyway. For some reason I thought marathon training would be different. The only thing that I am missing is a long run. So I was starting to feel like I wished that I was signed up for the marathon because one marathon isn’t going to hurt you to bad and I have alittle bit of curiosity about what it would be like. Then I thought about it more and was like- this is the last year that I will know people on the Calvin team and they all come out to cheer so it would be fun to race while I still have good friends at calvin, also I want to do the Chicago marathon when I live in Chicago and I can’t assume that I will be hear in 5 years even though I would like to. Then there is the whole—I don’t know what my running will look like in the future question. I know I will always run but will I have time to train in the future? Like have people to run workouts with, have Saturday’s to drive places to do long trail runs? Anyway- so I was starting to really wish that I was entered into the marathon but it was closed so that was that. Then I got an email that I could still register as a Chicago resident (it was just a bit pricy- 250). My first reaction was no way that is way to much money..then I thought about it- marathons are usually around 100 dollars (especially for large ones) and I have already made a lot of money in running this year. So not only is my sport cheap but it pays me back so I should not worry about the money.
Soooooo I signed up! After I did it I realized that I might have made a bad decision. The only agreement that I made with myself and Beth is that if it is really hot on race day- we aren’t going to race. We will race the Detroit or Grand Rapids Marathon the following weekend. It just isn’t smart to race that long in the heat. Also, I meet with the Fleet Feet coach on Tuesday to discuss the marathon. My mileage will not be increasing with marathon training but will be redistributed some.
Hear are the reason why I was leery about running (and my conclusion):
They aren’t good for your body- it is proven fact. However, Chicago is filled with people who have bad form, bad joints, over weight- you name it and they all survive the marathon and are even walking afterwards. The notion that I had in my head that I would some how ruin my body from doing one marathon is just not true. Now if I become a Marathoner….that would be bad.
What about having friends stay with you for the marathon….this was refuted by the fact that there are other places for them to stay and it would be fun to be in the action instead of watching like I have for so many years. Also I have people to race with this year (Beth, Lydia, and Jenny Z)
You said you would wait to run a marathon until you get your half marathon time under 1:20. What if I never get my time that low? Just because your half time isn’t equivalent to an Olympic qualifying time in the marathon doesn’t mean that you should through the towel. Also your first marathon isn’t going to be that great. It would be fun to go into the race with no pressure on your shoulder.
You are young and have speed. Why do something long- leave it to the old slow people….haha…I am still going to do that. I love racing and I could never give that up in order to just train for a marathon.
Joko’s response ”What the H! haha Why the heck wouldn’t you do Milwaukee or some other one that you would probably win. You paid 250 when you could win 5000 at a smaller marathon.” Very good point Joko….but I want to do Chicago….remember I have no desire to actually RUN a marathon…it is the Chicago Marathon that has me excited. It is so huge, people come from everywhere, and it’s just an exciting city when the marathon is here. Plus- I love winning (not going to lie it’s a great feeling) but the pressure is really low when you know you will not be winning or even in the top 50. I like that for this race.
Anyway this is just me thinking through a decision….the decision is made and that is that so I am sorry if you wished that you could have spoken to me before I made this decision. I will be alive and the same person after 26.2 : ) I promise : )

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have 'rationalized' this one out. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha- ya I had to write that to myself.

    ReplyDelete