Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wheaton Track Meet (Alums watch Calvin)




Today I slept in until 9:30. If felt great. Lynn Marsh drove up from Purdue to come watch Calvin at the Wheaton Meet. Lynn got into Chicago around 11AM. I was waiting outside for her. I was met by a very stressed out Lynn. I haven’t done much city driving myself and Lynn is from a town that has one stop sign. She thought Grand Rapids was a huge city. Anyway, I guess the driving was pretty stressful. Mel Vandenberg also met outside my place and we all headed on our way to Wheaton. We stopped at subway for lunch and then continued to the meet. The weather was absolutely beautiful. Sunny and 65 degrees. It was really fun to see everyone. Those Calvin girls are sure sweet girls. They all made me feel so loved by there excitement to see me and interest in what I was up to. I had a great time watching the races. The highlight was the men’s 5k. Jed was a mad man. Seriously- I have never seen anything like this. The men’s race started at a sprint. They were out in 4:30 miles. The last lap Jed ran in 59 seconds. That is a sprint! He finished in a time of 14:23 crushing the school record and far below automatic national qualifying. Another highlight was Bergstrom running the 3000. She had a 200 meter lead within the first lap. She turned to us and said “Did I go out too fast?” We didn’t know what to say. She kept it up though and finished it well. It put her 3rd on the all-time list. I got to run a few miles with Lynn on the prairie path. I learned more about her time at Purdue in speech pathology. She has it really tough right now with school. She has 14 credit hours (which is a lot in grad school), 10 clinical hours, plus a job that pays for her school but requires 30 hours of work a week. I have no idea how she pulls it off! She knows she has to drop something but needs to work to pay for school. I got to talk to Calah who is going to be in Vietnam working with the Mennonite World Relief. Anne Fennema hears back from Teach of America today. Kelly is going to Med School at Michigan State. Jon Gries is moving to Jordon to teach missionary kids for a year. Kristen Haugsma just accepted a job in Palos Heights (a suburb of Chicago) to teach high school physics and math. I am pretty proud of all my friends using there talents in such unique and cool ways! After the race we went to dinner (at 10:30PM) at Krista’s (a girl on the team). We then drove back to Chicago. Lynn ended up staying with Mel and Kelly Edwards stayed with me. Jon Gries and I were doing a 5k the next day so it made since that Lynn stay with Mel and sleep in and go to church with Mel. Kelly was coming to the race with me (did I mention she is dating Gries – they are perfect! ) We went right to sleep when we got back (it was around 1:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment