Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fleet Feet Fartlek

Today I had SOO much fun. I was in cloud nine. It is Wednesday which is Fleet Feet workout day. We were all wondering what the workout was because the schedule said Figure 8. Ends up it was a Fartlek (means speed play in Swedish). I love these. It was a figure 8 loop with a big hill in the middle. So you were to go at a tempo pace and then work it up the hill, relax down the hill, stride out on the straight and keep doing the figure 8 for 30 minutes. Line, Calina, and Lisa started together. After about 5 minutes it was clear that Line and I should split from Calina and Lisa. Line and I ran together for 15 minutes and it was great to feel like we were working it together. She said she needed to take a break after 15 so I continued on. (To her credit- she is a 2:08 800 meter runner so this was a long workout for her. She kicks my butt in 200 repeats). The last 15 minutes I ran by myself enjoying the bounding feeling of climbing the hill and the feel of the wind blowing my hair back on the down hill. I liked running on all the different surfaces: dirt, grass, woodchips, cement, gravel. I guess it probably doesn’t sound like very much fun but I wouldn’t have rather done anything else!

3 comments:

  1. not many people would think that would be fun- but you did make it sound fun. I ran for 20 minutes on the treadmill- no fartlek here. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i played hoops with the teachers here at bcs this a.m. just lots of sweat, bodies colliding, and a few basketballs falling through the net. but i do remember those days of just running fast. keep it up.
    sloan

    ReplyDelete
  3. SLOAN!! How the heck did you find this? That's great though. We will have to catch up next time I am in Seattle. I had a great time last time over some great Salmon!

    ReplyDelete