Sunday, April 26, 2009

Race Volunteer and Dirty Money

Today was anther early morning. I agreed to volunteer at the Ravenswood 5k (a Fleet Feet sponsored race). I told Mark that I could volunteer but needed to leave by 10AM for Church. This meant I was put on the 6:30-9:45 shift. The race was 4 miles from my house so there was no way I was going to by 2 dollars when it was a run-able distance. When I got to the race I was given an orange tshirt and told to set up the water station. This was fun…first you make a HUGE thing of Gatorade- 10 gallons of water to 2 gallons of Gatorade concentrate. Then you line up a whole table with cups stacked as close as possible. Then you get to do something that you would never do on a table you owned- you get to pour Gatorade over the table (the cups are so close together that you really don’t get any on the table but it is still pretty fun). Then it is even MORE fun! You get cardboard and cover up the cups with the Gatorade and start the next tier. The thing I was worried about was that we were going to have way to much! I thought it was going to be wasteful because, honestly- who drinks Gatorade on a 5k?---surprisingly-THE MAJORITY!!! See, this was a great experience for me because I didn’t know what happens behind me in the 5k. It is so great. There are little kids which there parents, people just trying to run the whole 5k, then there are people who are just trying to walk the whole thing without stopping. Anyway, I can’t even count the number of people who thanked me for volunteering, and thanked me for the Gatorade. How much fun!

While I was at the race Mark gave me a 300 dollar check for prize money from the Shamrock Shuffle. I didn’t have pockets and my bag looked the same as everyone else (says Fleet Feet Racing on it) so I thought I would stuff it in my shorts to keep it safe. Then Holly and I went home with a girl that goes to our church to change for church and then she was going to drive us to church. I went to the bathroom to change into pants. When we arrived at church I went to my bag and realized I didn’t have my check!! I felt sick to my stomach. I thought back and thought- hopefully it fell out when I changed and I didn’t notice. I asked the girl that drove me to church if she could call back and check with her husband (not church goer) to see if it was in the bathroom. She came back laughing. I said what is it. “Well the good news is that your check was in the bathroom. The bad news is that it was in the toilet. The worse news is that my husband thought it was junk (it was in an envelope) and didn’t want to get it out so he though he would pee on it to make it sink and then try to flush it down. However, even after peeing on it, it did not go down. So he figured that he would wait for his me (his wife) to get it out.” So now I have a soggy, peed on-check!!

3 comments:

  1. you always have the best pee and poo stories. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris:
    I guess you only did the one year of race help for the Seattle Marathon by your house. Sounds like the same thing we have done for 11 years on Thanksgiving weekend.
    Sloan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ya! That was fun...it is foggy in my memory. I should have done it more years!

    ReplyDelete