Sunday, April 19, 2009

Race That's Good for Life

Morning came too early but once I had some food and coffee I was wide awake. I woke Kelly up 15 minutes before we had to leave so she could sleep as long as possible. Holly’s husband Darrell drove us to the race. Holly and I warmed up together. I was race number 303. I didn’t know I needed to register as an Elite to get into the front Corral. Fortunately, Holly knew the race director and marched me over there and told the race director I was going to win and needed to be in the front. He told me he would put me in the front but I wasn’t going to win because there was a really fast girl in the race. The start of the race went out pretty fast and I was nervous because I was holding onto 10th place at mile one! Then by the 1.5 there was only 3 of us. I made an aggressive move around a turn to pace the second girl in blue. Diemer always said to accelerate into the turns because most people put on the breaks when turning. He was definitely right because just going around the turn accelerated me neck and neck with first. This was sweet because we were right behind the van that was video taping the race. I could hear the race commentary. It was saying Overbeck is pulling up to Dewald. This is going to be an exciting race. Overbeck is one step ahead of Dewald, oh but Dewald is pulling ahead of Overbeck! Overbeck is fighting back. They are side by side. There is no telling who is going to win! She ended up out kicking me down by 3 second. It was exciting though and my road race time was my best time (on roads not track) except for the footzone 5k which prides itself on being the fastest 5k race. After the race we stuck around for the awards. I got a one hundred dollar bill and Chris Vandenburg (Jon Gries’ roommate) got second in his age group in the Clydesdale A division (over 180 pounds). Gries and Holly both got second in their age group as well. After the awards we went back to my house and everyone showered. We then all went to lunch at a little French restaurant that I like called Bistro Zinc. It was really good. Then they left and I went home and took a nap. I woke up and found out that the Cubs game I had tickets for that night at 7PM was canceled due to the rain (it had been raining all day). Bummer. It was a great day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment