Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ravenswood 5k



This was my first time doing this race. It was a fun one but I didn't run particularly well. I need to focus on running MY race. I have a teammate I have been training with who has very different strengths than me. She has figured out how to use me beneficially but I haven't seemed to figure out what I am getting from the deal : ) oh well. I got second place. The friends that came out to cheer were so great!! What supportive friends I have. I sure felt special. Thanks guys! The girl that got third place was super tall (see picture above).

After the race I went back and went to church. The Pastor talked about her recent trip to Africa. She said she went over with the prayer that she really really wants to follow and do God's work-- "but gosh- Isn't there a way to follow God that isn't so exhausting?"
From being over there she learned a few things about this:
1. The people over there believe that God is ALREADY at work. We seem to be more aware of what WE are bringing to the table than what God is doing..this makes us measure our success and failure. The people over there seemed to have such faith that God had a plan and they were just part of that plan (not the main act).
2. They read the bible stories and tried to complete the stories in their lives. For example, if the story of the Good Samaritan was told everyone left wanting to be "that guy". We are more likely to dissect each little passage and not live it out...looking for some deeper meaning. We don't have the faith and trust to actually believe what God is saying.

She gave an example of a time that she was going to have 15 old friends over and spent the whole day cooking for the special event. Slowly everyone canceled over the day and she was left with food for 15 people and no guests. She said in the back of her had "wow this is just like the parable of the great feast where everyone canceled and so they went out and asked people off the street" However, she said- I didn't actually do that. I invited a few friends in the neighborhood and then put the leftovers in the freezer for the next day. She said "What a missed opportunity to complete the stories in our own life!" It was an interesting thought.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Jeffers SchroderApril 25, 2010 at 10:56 PM

    Thanks for sharing your pastor's comments. They are certainly worth reflecting on.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete