Saturday, April 24, 2010

AMAZING show

Today was a little too busy for my liking but that's okay once in awhile.
Run with friend 7:30 AM
Work Packet Pickup at Fleet Feet 9:30 - 1:00
Theater with friends 2:30-4:30
Hanging out downtown with friends 4:30-6:00
Dinner at Cuban Restaurant 6:00-9:00
Okay- that's the run down but now I have to tell you a bit about them. First, working the packet pickup was quite intense. The race was sold out at 3,200 people so there was quite a mob of people to pick up packets and I was in charge of this operation. Volunteers had different levels of ability. I put one guy in charge of getting the correct size shirt for different people but that was a little confusing for him so I switched him to asking people if they needed safety pins for their bib numbers. Then there is me- not quick enough at scanning down the list of names to find peoples names..kind of slow at it :) I fired myself from that job and put the librarian volunteer on that : )!!

A couple funny things happened- like one girl at packet pick up who said " Oh my Gosh- Are you Christina? I read your blog like every day! I had no idea that people who I didn't know read my blog so… Hi girl from packet pick up : )!!
Second when I got home I had several facebook messages they all were similar but here is a quote "You probably don't remember me, but I think we met at a 5k for a sec.. my friend just picked up his packet and told me the 'chick from the cover of the magazine' was handing out the packets. Good luck tomorrow"....these made me smile- I guess I am now "chick from magazine cover" haha

When I got home from Fleet Feet I got spiffed up and left to see Hephaestus at the Goodman Theater. Now I have been privileged to see many good shows as a kid but this was my first show in Chicago AND it was AMAZING! The theater was tiny so you were right next to the stage. In fact at one point one of the actors came and sat on my friends lap! It was told as a circus tale so everything turned into an amazing talent show which I felt was fitting for the story of Hephaestus (Greek God thrown from the sky by his mom Hera- raised by nymphs- He becomes talented at making pretty jewelry for the nymphs- then Hera is jealous of nymphs so comes down and asks Hephaestus to make her jewelry- he makes her a thrown with invisible shackles- she sits in the thrown and becomes stuck- then Hera sends down war god to get Hephaestus to set her free- he won't do it until she sends Aphrodite- he falls in love with Aphrodite so he lets Hera free and goes and lives on Mt Olympus with Gods- that's the quick summary). Anyway- I can’t even explore all the crazy effects but for example Hephaestus really does fall head first from the sky- and when you are under the sea the whole theater was filled with bubble so you felt like you were under water….okay post to long—that’s it for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment