Wednesday, March 31, 2010

RIC Track and Field day

Today was so much fun. We walked over to he track with 20 physically disabled kids and there were all these different "bikes" except I was informed that these are not bikes because they don't have gears or a chain. The guy was like "who wants to run?" and all the kids were like "ME!!" It was a little scary for the kids because they have to have there legs tied together and underneath them and then their hands are tied with leather into fists (this is because they punch the wheel to move it and that's how they move.) The chairs are really tippy so the first step was to help them to find how far they could bend back without tipping backwards. I talked to one of the guys that was fitting the kids in the bike and he said he did the Detroit marathon. I was like "I did the half marathon this last year" and we were talking about the race and he said he was getting so excited because he thought he was going to win it and then at the end he got passed and got second- I was like -that's exactly what happened to me! We both got second that day- just different divisions (wheelchair and non wheelchair).

I headed to Ann Arbor in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment