Saturday, January 23, 2010

CARA Awards banquet




Jeff came to Chicago last night to go to the Chicago Area Runners Awards Banquet. We carpooled with a bunch of people to the McDonald's Campus (yes Chicago loves it's McDonald's- first McDonald's was in Chicago...not the best claim to fame for a city : ) Anyway, the convention center was a actually quite lovely with lots of glass windows looking out over a pond and trees. I was a little nervous because I didn't know how the awards ceremony worked so I was worried that they would ask me some questions when I went up to get my reward and I am still not confident with myself under pressure. However, they just called me up for the Chicago Runner of the Year and shook my hand. So I relaxed thinking that was it. But then at the end of the awards they said "now we would like to hear a few words for the runner of the year." I practically choked on my chicken. However, the talk actually went well. I had people laughing at the beginning as I explained my excitement when I found CARA's website that had all the races on it (so many races) and then went for my first run in Chicago (so many runners). I focused on how Chicago is a unique place for a runner and the community that is built around running in Chicago. Anyway- it was a fun time. Unfortunately Jeff had to leave soon after we got back. It was really nice of him to come up for the banquet. (below- picture of Columba and her cute kids and I)

No comments:

Post a Comment