Monday, January 11, 2010

A day I will not forget

A number came across my work phone “27 Quiet Room.” I thought this looked peculiar so I let the call go to voice mail. Then I listened to the message. It was from the boss of mechanicals. My hand started to shake “why would the boss of mechanicals be telling me to come to the 27th floor which is HR?” This is not good. I decided to take to stairs because by the time I ran up the stairs to the 27th floor I would have the color back in my face : ).

I took a deep breath and opened the door where two men in suits sat…I felt a flash back to a year and a half ago- a had talked to both of these men on a day that I have never forgotten- the day I knew I had just gotten my first engineering job- and a great one at that! I remembered them sitting me down in this exact room with my resume in hand saying “this is very impressive- tell me about your trip to Vietnam where you studied prosthetics? Nominated for a leadership retreat? How do you think those skills will help you in the work place? I remembered how pleased I was for acting confident and how I felt so sharp in my new suit……however, now in the same room with the same two men I felt the opposite-- I felt so small- I never noticed how big my boss was and I never noticed how I didn’t fill the width of my chair, I felt self conscience- can they tell that I am nervous? All this passed through my head until he started to talk. How are you today Chris? (hey that’s not my name I thought!- my name is CHRISTINA). “As you have heard there is a large reduction in work right now (don’t say it I thought—please God please please please) and therefore we do not need you anymore. Please return your computer and key card by 9AM tomorrow morning.” Then the HR guy (Mr. Willie) started to talk to me about Cobra and all these other logistical things..but I couldn’t focus on what he was saying. My eyes started to water and my breaths turned into hick ups. The boss of mechanicals seemed confused “now don’t take this personally young lady- we just don’t have enough work.” That didn’t seem to work so he tried the comical approach. “Breath Chris. I know you’re a runner- you’re good at breathing.”

The rest of the day was a burr……

However, when I got home I went for a run and when I got back from running my mind was clear and I felt 100 times better. I am so thankful for the gift of running. It helps put things in perspective, it helps me think clearly when my head and heart hurt, and it helps me hear God talk to me when I wouldn’t be listening.

Life is still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment