Thursday, September 30, 2010

still not sure about marathon

Well on Sunday of this week it was a crisp fall day and I was just LOVING the sport of running. I was totally day dreaming about the marathon and I was doing super well in my day dream. Midway through my run a Loyola runner came up to me and started asking me for advice. I ended up running with her back to her campus and then turning around and running home. I enjoyed it.

Then on Monday I also was feeling quite up beat and was 90% sure that I should do the marathon.

Then today I saw that Joan Benoit Samuelson was doing the Chicago Marathon and was planning on running to get the B standard for the trial which would get her a world record in the 50-55 age group for the marathon. Sweet! That is perfect- stick to her 50 year old fast butt! Again feeling pretty sure I should do the marathon.

Then I read that Ryan Hall is not doing the marathon. His reason was that he had had a touch bout of training. His paragraph stating why he was not doing the marathon pretty much summed up why I was thinking I wouldn't- now this made me feel about 50% sure I should race the marathon.

Then I go to the track for 800's and run them all between 2:45-2:50 pace. This is not a good time for me. Coach tells me if he had to make a decision today he would say to delay the marathon. He just thinks something is not quite right. He thinks it isn't adult like to run a race if you aren't completely ready.

1 comment: