Saturday, March 10, 2012

Haiti Day 2


(day one will be posted when I find the paper I wrote it on :)
We woke up at 5Am and went out of security to wait for a man with Project Medishare who had a couple bags of medical supplies for us to check. We waited until 6:10 (we were supposed to see him at 5:30) and then started to get worried because our flight was at 7:30 and international. We checked in and started walking towards security and saw a guy with a Medishare shirt- oh no! We quick checked the 2 bags. He had 2 more bags but we didn't think we had time to go back to his car. I feel bad that we couldn't get the luggage (medical supplies). When we arrived in Port-au-prince we found the medishare ride right away. Medishare was very close to the airport. We dropped the luggage off and got a ride up the mountains alittle ways. We started walking up the mountains and all the kids followed us as they were going home from school. One little girl grabbed my hand and then they all held onto me. I kept getting behind Jeff because of the train of kids attached to me so I made up a game "i, 2, 3,run to Jeff (in Creole)." It was taking longer than we thought so we caught another motto (motorcycle). We took that motto as far as he could go until the road was so bad that he said he couldn't go any more. From there it was a grueling hike up the mountain on crushed rock. Many people were carrying goods on their heads= including hot coals!!!\ We again had a crew of children following us "Chree-stee-na- m gran gu! (I'm hungry). We didn't give them anything because we were told not to encourage bagging. We finally got to the top and through the clouds saw Clayton coming towards us. We both ran to meet him. From there we went to see the school they are building. It was super nice and the people there were so sweet. They remembered "Mr John" and were excited to learn he was my father. The view from the school was so beautiful. From there we drove down to Jacmel. It was Clayton's girlfriend Jeannie's birthday so they had gotten a hotel and some of her friends had come down. The place was nice. We checked in and had some barbeque chicken on the beach- it was a full moon and georgeous! I liked Jeannie and her friends. They had a big run planned and Jeff and I planned to join them the next morning for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment