Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 4: being a PT for a day


Today I helped out with the PT. I did some exercises with a kid with low tone and some exercises with a hydrocephalus child. It was pretty self explanatory. You scan the patient logs and look for "PT." When you see that you look for the corresponding bed number and then assess the situation. For example the child with hydrocephalus needed to work on protraction and she had knee contractures. After peds, we went to ortho. One lady who had bilateral femoral fractures needed PT. We got her up and walking. Next we went to the spinal cord unit. This is where I spent most of my day. I learned how to do transfers- hard physical work. I got all the spinal cord patients into their wheel chairs. I played catch, talked and played connect four with some of the patients. It was good to get their spirits up. After that I got put to work organizing donations. We got all the suplies sorted and to the right department. I am excited to do prosthetics tomorrow. No prosthetics is done on Sunday (today). It was neat to see the pastor come and give a church service to the patients. It was a tough day. The problem is that there is no place to get away- except the roof which I learned this morning that we really aren't supposed to go so now I am alittle scared. It was nice to look down at the streets but also scary to see police standing by the gates with huge guns. So now I still go to the roof but I must sit between the generators just in case someone were to look up from the street and be unhapppy to see a "blanc" (white). It's pretty chaotic and everyone wants to chat in Creole if you are by a patient- It's good practice but it gets tiring. To be quiet honest- I'm already ready to go home. It might be a long week. I shouldn't speak yet though- I haven't done Prosthetics yet which is what I am trained to do. It's just tough to be on such a little complex in a "lock down" situation (no leaving), people screaming in pain...and for me- I can't do anything for someone in the ER. I crave solitude..a nice run to clear my head...it's going to be awhile until I get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment