Thursday, January 13, 2011

Golden Gate Recreation Area





Wow today was amazing. My Aunt and Uncle let us barrow their car and we headed to the Golden Gate Recreational area and Muir Woods. First stop: Muir Beach. The fog drifted onto the sandy beach with rocky cliffs overhead. Jeff was so excited to see the ocean (and to get out of the car) that he nearly ran into the water with excitement. We did a short hike up to a lookout over the beach. From there we headed into the Muir Woods Park. Jeff drove me to the top of the Panoramic Highway and I started running west until we planned to meet at Stinson Beach and Highway 1. Meanwhile, Jeff went and hiked the Redwood trail and got his first up –close encounter with the big trees. It was a Seattle-like misty day which kept the crowds away. Jeff later went to meet me at Highway 1. But after I hadn’t showed up Jeff decided to drive up the Panoramic highway. He flagged a car down and asked a man if he had seen me. The guy said “Yes- I thought about asking if she needed a ride but she looked like she was having too much fun!” Jeff soon found me running happily in the rain (but with dead tired legs – it was VERY hilly). After that we drove the craziest road of my life. Up, down, over, cliffs on the edge of the road and stunning views of the Pacific the entire time! We stopped had a makeshift lunch on a cliff overlooking the water. We had such an amazing time. Because Jeff hadn’t yet seen the Golden Gate Bridge we raced to get there before dark. We climbed up to the lookout, we heard the cars on the bridge and a freighter down below …. But all there was to see was thick clouds… I guess we will have to go back 

No comments:

Post a Comment